Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The holidays are here!

Who doesn't want to share a smile during the holidays?
(Morgan and Spencer 2011)


So I'm not afraid to admit that I have felt a little overwhelmed lately.  My husband still unemployed, houseful of kids going stir-crazy, Holidays coming, how are we going to pay the rent much less provide Christmas....it's all a bit overwhelming.  So I made a little deal with God that if he somehow saw a way to get us through this, that I would pay it forward in bigger ways.  And of course, he listened.

God often gives to my family in ways we probably don't deserve.  I can't tell you how many times good things happen to us for no apparent reason.  Bad things happen too.  In big ways.  But we live a good life.  Our kids live a good life.  And miracles keep happening. I'm not asking you to believe in God.  That's up to you.  We don't attend church every Sunday and certainly aren't fire and brimstone bible thumpers.  Your beliefs are yours.  But I believe in good and evil, and divine intervention.  Today my husband started the first day of his new job.  Which I think he will like.  A lot.  We also unexpectedly have money coming to get us through, provide Christmas, and then some.  (We actually always had it, it just didn't dawn on us that we had it.)  So that leaves me fulfilling my end of the deal.  When you bargain with God and he takes you up on it, you better come through in a big way.  So this is how it begins....

Some time ago, I came across this blog... 

How I celebrated my birthday. (a.k.a. 38 random acts of kindness)

It is the story of a woman named Robyn who's goal was to perform one random act of kindness on her birthday, for every year of her life.  38 random acts.  She wanted to give, and not receive.  So she did.  Because of that amazing day,  that blog entry snowballed into something much bigger that became known as The Birthday Project.  (www.thebdayproject.com).  Not just a a random act of kindness, but a movement all around the world of people celebrating their birthdays by giving.  No matter how small or how big.  From helping a little old lady put her groceries in her car, to giving out gift cards randomly in a department store.

"The mission behind The Birthday Project is to shake people out of their busy, daily lives and remind them to look around and to see how many ways they can make a difference.  Yes, it starts with your birthday but I've yet to meet a single person who hasn't been affected the other 364 days of the year.  We slow down a little, we look people in the eyes, we smile at strangers, we chat with people we don't know, we offer the gift of ourselves and we restore faith in our fellow man and woman.  Instead of feeling helpless about the things that sadden us in this world, we find ways to help, to lend a hand, to offer a hug or a sympathetic ear and make it a better place."
It's something I've been sitting on for quite a while.  I knew I wanted to do it.  I knew we needed to do it.  And I know that I want to continue to do it, not just as part of keeping up my end of the bargain.  So instead, my side of this bargain has turned into a now, tomorrow, and continual commitment.  Something that makes me and my whole family feel like we are making a difference in someone's life.  Bringing happiness for no reason other than we can.  Some days it may be more than others.  Some days it may be bigger or smaller.  Some days it may be random, or well thought out and planned.  But it's now a commitment.  Celebrating life, all year long.  One random act at a time.  So with that said....

December starts the holiday season.  A few weeks ago, I wasn't sure if our own kids would have a very happy holiday.  Now I know they will and we want to make sure others do too.  So we are adopting some local people and giving them some holiday cheer.  A single mom, who gives everything to her child and goes without.  An elderly lady, who counts pennies and lives frugally.  It's just in the planning stages, but we are having so much fun with it!!!!  We have even decided that we want to adopt the little elderly lady on a permanent basis and surprise her with sporadic "gifts" every month.  She will never know us, and we have never met her.  She works with a friend of ours.  But apparently, she is adorable.  And who doesn't love adorable little old ladies???  I think she is going to be my favorite project.

We heard she loves chocolate.  Do you think this would be too much?
(BTW, I think it looks FANTASTIC on my husband, don't you?)

I'm excited!  More updates to come!  Maybe we will even inspire you like Robyn did us!  All it takes it one person to make a difference!






No comments:

Post a Comment